UMD virtual career fairs take place on Handshake. Login to search for fairs, sign up for sessions with employers, and attend the career fair the day of.
During virtual career fairs, you can sign up to meet with employers two ways:
- 1:1 Session: A 10-minute 1:1 conversation between one student and one recruiter, and a great way to learn about specific positions and how to stand out in the application process.
- Group Session: A 30-minute session with Q&A hosted by one or more recruiters and between 1-50 students, recommended for students who are exploring organizations and career paths.
Sign Up for Sessions
Once logged in to Handshake, select the EVENTS tab. Filter by CAREER FAIR and click on the fair for details. Register on the CAREER FAIR DETAILS page or navigate to AVAILABLE SESSIONS and use filters to search and sign up for 1:1 and group sessions with employers you are interested in.
Pro Tip 2: Can't see an employer's sessions? The employer may still be creating their schedule. Follow the employer (star button) to receive a notification when their sessions become available.
Pro Tip 3: After you sign up for a 1:1 session with an employer, you can send a message to the representative and they can reach out to you. Click the SEND A MESSAGE button next to the representative’s name in the YOUR SCHEDULE tab. After you send a message, you can find the communication under MESSAGES.
Update your Profile & Settings
In MY PROFILE edit the following 2 sections for the most access to employers:
- Under the Education section:
- College (should be University of Minnesota - Duluth)
- Graduation date/Time period
- Major & minor
- GPA (employers can filter on cumulative GPA)
- Under the Name & Photo section:
- School Year (first year, sophomore, junior, senior, etc.)
- Preferred Name (optional)
- In SETTINGS update the following sections for the most access to employers:
Fill Out Your Profile & Upload a Resume
Employers attending the fair will want to know about your background and experience, and will be able to check out your Handshake profile during the fair. A great way to stand out to employers is to fill out information on your profile like you would on a resume to highlight your experience and skills. Fill out:
- Work and volunteer experience
- Organizations and extracurriculars
- Courses & projects
- My journey/about me
Upload a resume to fill out your profile faster and to make a positive impression on employers. Make sure you set your resume to Visible/Featured on Profile.
Prepare for your Sessions
Plan for the conversations you will have with employers during your sessions.
Prepare an introduction of who you are and what you are looking for. Your intro can include your name, major/minor, graduation date, what you currently do, what your future goals are, what you are doing to reach your goals, and what you can bring to an organization.
Do research on the employers you want to meet with and create a list of potential questions specific to each employer.
- Potential Questions to Ask Employers at the Career Fair
- How to Prepare Questions for Virtual Career Fairs, With Examples
Prepare what you will wear and determine the best spot to be at during the fair. The UMD Kirby Ballroom will have interview spaces set up the day of the fair for students who want a quiet space with reliable internet to attend their sessions.
Check to ensure your technology is ready to go for the day of the fair.