There are many ways to look for an internship or job. Below are some of the most popular strategies.
The University of Minnesota’s online job and internship listing site is free and open to students and alumni from all campuses.
- Search for jobs and internships and receive notifications about openings and events.
- Post a resume and complete your profile so employers can find you.
Using Your Connections
Each year, approximately 30% UMD grads find their first jobs out of college through their connections.
- Reach out to your connections: family & friends, UMD faculty & staff, coaches, mentors, employers, networking contacts, etc.
- Announce your job or internship search to everyone you know to develop and broaden a list of contacts and leads.
- Connect with people and build relationships. Ask questions, learn about other people and let them know about you.
Online Posting Websites
Search organization websites directly for openings.
- Apply and submit resumes using the organizations’ online systems
- Learn about structured internship & co-op programs that many organizations host annually.
Incorporate LinkedIn and other social media platforms into your search.
- Create, maintain and update profiles with a consistent professional image and message on all platforms.
- Follow organizations to learn about position postings, company culture, and news.
Proactive outreach to employers based on your specific needs/wants: industry, geographic location, type of organization, etc.
- Contact employers directly via LinkedIn or email to inquire about opportunities.
- Find organizations in a specific city or region via resources like chambers of commerce.
These agencies offer three types of employment in a variety of fields: contract, contract to hire and direct hire.
- Identify agencies that specialize in the area or field of employment in which you are interested.